Friday, August 3, 2012

Sights and Sounds

If you don't know, the first part of the BIONICLE storyline takes place on an island. So, I have to make the various areas look and feel like they do in the other games, books, movies, etc. I have decided to give it a islandish feel, and not making the areas too big and not too small. Otherwise, I'd end up with rediculously-massive, empty areas, or miniscule boss-fight arenas (oh yeah, don't worry, there are going to be boss fights). Not only that, but I would get a game that just wouldn't seem right.

I also have to get the music right. The BIONICLE series is also known for the music it uses in its various media areas. So, I started listening to some (old) music that was created just for the series, and decided to come up with a style that matches the setting and the story. It takes place on a tropical island, so I will put in various types of drum beats, as well as various wind and string instruments, using a program called Ableton Live. But, the game is also about biomechanical beings, so I will also add some synthesizers and other techno-style sounds. And, I have to somehow blend the two styles together. But I won't worry about that now.

That's all I have to say for now. Next time, I will be discussing how I am going to make the in-game objects and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment